FREMONT 4TH OF JULY PARADE
Parade Date: July 4th at 10:00 AM
Check in: @ Fremont Main Library Entrance
2400 Stevenson Blvd.
THE FREMONT 4TH OF JULY PARADE celebrates our country’s Independence Day with a parade that provides entertainment, community spirit, and fun for all to enjoy.
ALL VOLUNTEERS MUST CHECK IN AT THE VOLUNTEER CHECK IN BOOTH LOCATED NEAR THE ENTRANCE TO THE FREMONT MAIN LIBRARY. Volunteers will receive any required equipment and will then proceed to their assigned areas. Following the parade, all volunteers must return any equipment given to the Volunteer Check-In. Please remember Stevenson Blvd. access to the Staging Area from Paseo Padre will be closed at 7:00 a.m. Volunteers will need to be dropped off nearby or park in surrounding areas. Volunteer reporting times are based on assignments.
Check in: Located at the entrance of the Fremont Main Library
Parade Personnel: Volunteers receive shirts upon check-in that must be worn while working the parade.
Restrooms: Portable restrooms will be located in the staging area parking lot and along parade route.
VOLUNTEER LEAD PERSON
Most areas will have one “lead person” who will be in charge of the assigned area. They will oversee volunteers to ensure the area works effectively and will be the main contact for the parade director and organizers.
7:00 AM: Staging Area – Stevenson Blvd. from Paseo Padre Pkwy. to Civic Center Dr.
9:00 AM: Parade Route – Will remain closed until the final parade entry reaches the end of the route.
VOLUNTEER REPORT TIMES AND DUTIES
STAGING AREA: 7:00 AM
- Assist with the marking of unit numbers
- Provide information to participants
- Assist participants to their staging number location
- Assist with traffic flow in the staging area
- Assure no parking of vehicles not in the parade
- Assist with the flow of units in the parade order of march
PARTICIPANT PARKING AREAS: 7:30 AM
- Direct traffic flow of vehicles
- Direct parking locations
PARADE ROUTE: 7:30 AM
Official start is Stevenson Boulevard at Paseo Padre Parkway, north on Paseo Padre Parkway to Capitol Avenue where if officially ends. Parade staff will set pace. THIS IS A FORWARD MOTION PARADE. The parade must move at a steady pace for the convenience of all involved.
- Assist with monitoring street intersections, housing/business drives and other street closure areas
- Assist with traffic control on street in areas recommended by Police Department
- Ensure parade flow continues forward
- Ensure parade units turn corner without problem
- Report any problems
BALLOON HANDLERS: 8:00 AM – Training with vendor will be at 8:30 AM
- Assist vendor with balloon inflation
- Attend pre-parade training
BANNER CARRIERS: 8:30 AM
- Sort, unroll and prepare all banners for parade appearance
- Place banner in proper location in the parade line of march
DE-STAGING: 9:00 AM
Parade will officially end at Capitol Avenue and Paseo Padre Parkway. Volunteers responsibilities:
- Balloons – deflate in the City Hall parking lot on Capitol Avenue.
- Banners – Collect all banners and banner poles.
- Floats – Assist entries to location to disembark any riders, out of traffic. Floats will turn left onto Capitol Avenue and proceed past Hastings Street.
- Marching Groups/Bands – turn left onto Capitol Avenue and then first left into City Hall driveway. Proceed right and continue through parking lot to disperse near Liberty Street.
- Vehicles/Car Clubs – Collect car signs for VIP’s and Special Guests. Vehicles will turn left onto Capitol Avenue and left onto Liberty Street and disburse. Show location of participant parking.
Ambulance vehicles and staff, tow trucks, and police will be available to report to the parade route as needed. Medics and police on bicycles will be roaming the parade route before, during and after the parade.
TIPS TO STAYING COOL: This parade has experienced some very hot days in the past. Here are some tips on keeping cool for the day:
- Drink plenty of water. (NOTE: The Sikh community provides FREE bottles of water all along the parade route and in the staging area.)
- Bring wet towels for cooling members.
- Ensure you protected your face and skin by wearing a wide brim hat and sunscreen.
- Report to EMT, Fire Department, Police Officer or Parade Volunteer if you start to show signs of the following; severe headache, mental confusion, stopped perspiration, heat cramps, skin rashes or swelling.
FREMONT 4TH OF JULY PARADE - IMPORTANT RULES AND GUIDELINES
No backpacks allowed at the parade. Be aware of your surroundings and report suspicious activity. If you see something, say something. If you see suspicious behavior or situations, do not confront the individuals involved. You can:
- Text - Anonymous: send tips by texting "Tip FREMONTPD" followed by your message, to 888-777.
- Webtip - Anonymous: Send your tip via the web, simply visit their NIXLE page.
- Email: Contact the FPD to send a tip or photograph, please use our GENERAL EMAIL. This method is NOT anonymous.
- Phone: To report non-urgent information via phone, silent witness hotline at 510-494-4856.
- In an emergency, dial 911!
Remember, it is impossible to identify a terrorist by appearance, nationality or language. ALL safety instructions and guidelines are requirements of the city, parade insurance agency and parade organizers. If a participant does not adhere to these rules and guidelines, they will be subject to removal from the parade.
- FORWARD MOTION PARADE, NO STOPPING TO PERFORM
- NO THROWING or PASSING OUT OF ANY FAVORS OR LITERATURE FROM PARADE ROUTE
- NO PERSONS OR ARTICLES HANGING OVER OR RIDING ON THE SIDES OF FLOATS OR VEHICLES
- NO SPRAYING OF WATER OR OTHER LIQUIDS FROM ENTRIES
- NO FIREWORKS OR POPPERS OF ANY KIND
- NO JUMPING ON OR OFF FLOATS OR VEHICLES
- NO SWERVING OR STUNT DRIVING
- NO BLOWING OF SIRENS, VEHICLE HORNS OR REVVING OF ENGINES
- NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES OR SMOKING AROUND ENTRIES
- NO ADVOCATING, OPPOSING, DEPICTING, OR ENDORSING OF ANY POLITICAL, SOCIAL ISSUES OR PERSONS
- NO POLITICAL CAMPAIGN SIGNS OR ANY TYPE OF CAMPAIGNING IS ALLOWED ON THE PARADE ROUTE
- NO USE OF WEAPONS (unless previously approved or those with a color guard unit)
- NO BACKPACKS ALLOWED AT THE PARADE
- DO NOT LEAVE BAGS, BOXES OR EQUIPMENT ON THE STREETS OR IN PARKING LOTS.
Thank you for your participation and cooperation